Prayer for Discernment
Dear Heavenly Father,
I, your daughter, want to come closer to you and your Son Jesus. By the help of the Holy Spirit and through the intercession of our Blessed Mother Mary, I want to live fully the life that you have given to me and do your will. Guide me now as I seek to grow in wisdom and grace. Enlighten my heart and mind, and those of my sisters, as we choose how to best use the time and talents given us to come together in prayer, reflection and study. Thank you for loving me and all our group.
In Jesus name, Amen.
Novena to Our Lady of Sorrows
May be said as a nine day novena and/or as a companion to the daily recitation of 7 Hail Marys offered in honor of Our Lady’s Sorrows.
Download Novena pdf: Seven Sorrows Handout
EACH DAY BEGIN WITH:
V. O God, come to my assistance;
R. O Lord, make haste to help me. V. Glory be, etc…
R. As it was, etc…
I grieve for Thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the affliction of Thy tender heart at the prophecy of the holy and aged Simeon. Dear Mother, by Thy heart so afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of humility and the Gift of the holy Fear of God. Pray one Hail Mary.
I grieve for Thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the anguish of Thy most affectionate heart during the flight into Egypt and Thy sojourn there. Dear Mother, by Thy heart so troubled,obtain for me the virtue of generosity, especially towards the poor, and the Gift of Piety. Pray one Hail Mary.
I grieve for Thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in those anxieties which tried Thy troubled heart at the loss of Thy dear Jesus. Dear Mother, by Thy heart so full of anguish, obtain for me the virtue of chastity and the Gift of Knowledge. Pray one Hail Mary.
I grieve for Thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the consternation of Thy heart at meeting Jesus as He carried His Cross. Dear Mother, by Thy heart so troubled, obtain for me the virtue of patience and the Gift of Fortitude. Pray one Hail Mary.
I grieve for Thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the martyrdom which Thy generous heart endured in standing near Jesus in His agony. Dear Mother, by Thy heart afflicted in such wise, obtain for me the virtue of temperance and the Gift of Counsel. Pray one Hail Mary.
I grieve for Thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the wounding of Thy compassionate heart, when the side of Jesus was struck by the lance and His Heart was pierced. Dear Mother, by Thy heart thus transfixed, obtain for me the virtue of fraternal charity and the Gift of Understanding. Pray one Hail Mary.
I grieve for Thee, O Mary most sorrowful, for the pangs that wrenched Thy most loving heart at the burial of Jesus. Dear Mother, by Thy heart sunk in the bitterness of desolation, obtain for me the virtue of diligence and the Gift of Wisdom. Pray one Hail Mary.
V. Pray for us, O Virgin most sorrowful
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
LET US PRAY.
Let intercession be made for us, we beseech Thee, O Lord Jesus Christ, now and at the hour of our death, before the throne of Thy mercy, by the Blessed Virgin Mary, Thy Mother, whose most holy soul was pierced by a sword of sorrow in the hour of Thy bitter Passion. We ask this through Thee, Jesus Christ, Savior of the world, who with the Father and the Holy Ghost livest and reignest world without end. Amen.
GRACES AND PROMISES ATTACHED TO THE PRACTICE OF THE DEVOTION IN HONOR OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY SORROWING:
According to St. Alphonsus de Liguori (The Glories of Mary) it was revealed to Saint Elizabeth that at the request of Our Lady, Our Lord promised four principal graces to those devoted to Her Sorrows:
- That those who before death invoke the divine Mother in the name of Her Sorrows will obtain true repentance of all their sins;
- That He will protect all who have this devotion in their tribulations, and will protect them especially at the hour of death;
- That He will impress on their minds the remembrance of His Passion;
- That He will place such devout servants in Mother Mary’s hands to do with them as She wishes and to obtain for them all the graces She desires.
In addition to these four graces there are also seven promises attached to the practice of daily praying seven Hail Mary’s while meditating on Our Lady’s Tears and Sorrows.
THESE SEVEN PROMISES WERE REVEALED TO SAINT BRIDGET:
- “I will grant peace to their families.”
- “They will be enlightened about the divine Mysteries.”
- “I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.”
- “I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of My divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.”
- “I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.”
- “I will visibly help them at the moment of their death — they will see the face of their Mother.”
- “I have obtained this grace from My divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to My tears and sorrows will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and My Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.”